Always love me some truth from Andy Lewis the pastor of Mitchell Road in Greenville,SC. His blog is amazing, it draws me in and makes me want to just be still before the Lord. So tonight after a long day when i'm just done with myself, I am thankful for these words..
Living out of what has been freely given-
From Paul's letter to the Corinthian church chapter 2 quoting first Isaiah 64 and then giving counsel. "'no eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.'... (v.12) we have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us."
Again today I need to remember the gift of grace. Why am I so forgetful? Why do I run to my to do list so early? Even in my dreams last night it is my fears and anxieties that clearly dominate my mind when in R.E.M.
I'm so glad to have read I Cor. 2 this morning. It reminds me v. 16 that we have the 'mind of Christ.' It reminds me that we have a story that no one could have imagined. No one was prepared for what God had in store for those who love him! Full redemption, free grace, no longer having to be bound to secret sins, no more need to cover up, identity in a redeemer, satisfaction of our souls, longings fulfilled - and those are only the things we have in this life!
It is the Spirit of God that understands what God has freely given us! It is our humility needed to accept this. And in humility I have to turn to Scotty Smith and Tim Keller who have summarized this better than I ever could. Scotty quotes Tim saying “If you want God’s grace, all you need is need, all you need is nothing. But that kind of spiritual humility is hard to muster.”
Well today that is my goal. To remember rather than forget. To be reminded of the story of grace freely given. To open myself up to the Spirit's correction. To not muster up my own abilities or initiatives but to muster up the humility to ask God and others for help and direction. To live in the freedom of grace that is freely given in order that in obedience I may discern the mind of Christ.
In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen and Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment