Blog from Andy Lewis: www.gospelparadox.blogspot.com
an immediate heart scan
A friend sat me down yesterday to tell me that he was noticing something concerning in my life. There was a way in which I was speaking that he thought may be distracting. He was right...and for that matter a good friend to point it out.
Scripture tells us that wounds from a friend can be trusted. Rebuke done in truth and love is the best thing a friend can do. What happened yesterday is that I had an immediate heart scan (my friend only saw a little blip) but it revealed a larger cancer in my spiritual life.
I realized that what is coming out of my mouth is indicated what is already in my heart. It is a great and painful way to scan your life and see how spiritually healthy your heart is... Here are some questions I'm using.
- Am I poking fun at someone because I'm insecure or intimidated?
- Am I saying something to receive affirmation or to bolster my reputation?
- Am I talking about anyone in a way that I wouldn't speak face to face?
- Am I sowing discord by letting people believe things about others that is conjuncture?
- Am I hoping to make someone feel bad by being quiet instead of extending forgiveness?
- Am I cutting people down so I feel bigger?
- Am I trying to prove that I am right before listening to the other opinions?
- Am I always trying to solve the problem before I pray about the situation?
- Am I saying things that make me look better or less sinful than I actually am?
- Am I judging people verbally before I know them?
Scripture is so practically helpful its scary: Luke 6 For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. What God's word tells us is that our tongues provide an immediate heart scan.
James 3:5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! ...9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. 10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.
BUT - all is not lost. This morning I can draw near to God. I am not to speak about him before I draw near to him. But I can draw near as I have found out yesterday and I'm finding out today that I am: insecure, scared, intimidated, prideful, plagued with low self-esteem, judgmental, etc.
I can draw near and find my security and identity in the fact that God knows me and gives me grace. I can draw near first in worship of Him which allows me to freely love others. I can draw near to a God who loves me because Christ has been judged for my sin. To a God who doesn't speak about me behind my back but instead has put my sins behind his back! To a God is longing for my conversation in prayer. To a God who loves to here my inadequate and off-pitch praise.
I can draw near to a God - who pulls me out of the muck and mire and puts a new song in my mouth - a song of praise to my God (Ps. 40.)
So I confess and repent and am thankful to a God who loves and forgives and a friend who speaks the truth in love.
Ephesians 4:15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment